Colocasia (English) or Taro root or Chama Dumpa (Telugu) or Arbi (Hindi) is a root vegetable.This is commonly grown and eaten in southern and western parts of India. Chama Dumpa Fry and Chama Dumpa Pulusu (tangy and sweet gravy based curry) are the two commonly made dishes in all Andhra homes. Today's my recipe is a simple but very tasty one - the Chama Dumpa Fry (Taro Fry), which you will all enjoy making and also dining.
- Colocasia or Chama Dumpa or Arbi - 250g
- vegetable oil - 2 table spoons
- Salt - 1 table spoon
- Red chilli powder - 1 table spoon
- Jeera powder - 1 tea spoon
- Clean Colocasia well in running tap water.
- Take 500 ml of clean water in a big vessel add Colocasia and cook in medium for 5 to 6 min. till this tuber has to cook well and to become soft,then switch of the flame.Drain out water from vessel and keep coclocasia aside to be cool.
- After they become cool, remove the skin of Colocasia.
- Now heat oil in a pan add Coclocasia and fry in high flame for 1 min. Then turn the flame in to medium heat and fry for few more min or.till they become golden brown.
- Now add red chilli powder, salt, jeera powder and mix well and fry for few more min.
- Take it in to serving bowl and decorate with coriander leaves.
- Serve as a side dish with hot sambar rice.